Sunday, October 2, 2016

Germany Day 1- Trier

A couple months ago Mike's unit was trying to fill pilot spots for a trip to Germany. Mike and I felt he'd been gone quite a bit so he didn't put his name in for consideration. They were having trouble filling the trip so they asked him directly if he could take it. He asked if my parents could watch our kids for a week so I could join him and surprisingly they said YES. (Suckers!) ;) We bought my tickets and started planning. I have a lot of friends that have been to Germany so they gave great advice.

I left Wednesday afternoon and landed in Germany Thursday morning around 10 AM. I rented a car and headed to Spangdahlem Air base where Mike was stationed. We didn't want to lose a day of sight seeing so we spent the day in Trier. It is one of the oldest cities in Germany still has a lot of Roman sites since it was conquered in the 1st century BC. Even though we saw a lot, we missed out on the Roman Baths because we arrived at 5:40 and they closed at 6. The guy said they all wanted to go home. :) We also were too late for the amphitheater, which looked really cool from the outside. They treated it like a Colosseum and help gladiator type spectacles.

We started off at Porta Nigra, which is a large Roman gate that is almost 2000 years old.




St Gangolf's church

Palace Gardens

Electoral Palace

My favorite place in Trier was the Dom St. Peter/Trier Cathedral. It was incredible! It was huge inside but not over imposing. There was a main worship area with a lot of smaller areas off the sides. I didn't want to take pictures at first, but the woman in charge of the treasury said it's completely acceptable, and I wasn't going to complain. So beautiful!













There was so much to see in this city that I wish we'd had a full day instead of half a day, but it was a great city to tour.

No comments: