Thursday, April 21, 2011

Just call me Coach

When I signed Steven up for soccer this spring I checked the little box saying I'd be an assistant coach. I was the only parent to check the little boxes, so last week I got a call saying I was the only one who volunteered and was now the coach and needed to come pick up the uniforms and info. YAY! I get to coach pre-schoolers. :-)

I had only signed Steven up for soccer, because Sarah didn't seem to appreciate the game when she played last year. When she found out I was going to be the coach, and the uniforms were turquoise blue, her FAVORITE color ;-) she just had to play. We went back to the rec center and they gave me a nice discount for her, so it all worked out.

Our first game was...interesting. It was more of a scrimmage, so there weren't any refs. When the ball would go out of bounds a group of kids would continue chasing it until we could get their attention. It was really cute. The thing I love about this age, is it isn't competitive, so my lack of soccer knowledge doesn't matter. I hold weekly practices and we work on things like dribbling, passing and shooting, and the kids are thrilled. Here are Sarah and Steven before our first game.


Our second game went great. We don't keep score at this age, but our team made nine goals. We have seven 3 yr olds, two 4 yr olds, and Sarah, the 5 yr old. All three of the oldest played last year, so they're the ones that are stealing the ball and making goals. I tried to get the older kids to pass to the younger, but they get caught up in the moment and want to score. Last year Sarah loved to practice, but during the game she would chat with the coach, or follow the herd. This year she's really into it and scored two goals. Our team played so well, that the other coach was actually blocking our kids plays. I almost had to get after him. ;-) Here are some pics from our second game compliments of Mike the photographer.






I think this picture sums up pre-k soccer. Sarah's falling, another girl is on the ground, a mom is on the field trying to make her kid play and I'm running around trying to coach every play. It's a lot of fun, and I'm glad I can do it.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Lol, coach! I saw you at the soccer field the first Saturday but you were surrounded by kids so I didn't get to say hi. I think Dallin's team plays yours this week!