My friend Rachel Jolley introduced me to a charity called Lifting Hands International. Their goal is to give aid to refugees here and abroad. This particular service project was to help refugees at the southern border. Regardless of the politics involved, which complicates things, there were people in need. I posted on Facebook that I wanted to assemble some kits and had a great response. My friend Tracy Flores shared my post and a friend of hers that I didn't know rallied her friends and they sent me a TON of stuff. I created an Amazon shopping list and her friends bought most of it. My parents bought 50 bottles of shampoo and I bought the rest in addition to filling some other holes. We ended up making about 120-130 kits and had a lot of extra toothbrushes, combs and washcloths to donate to the charity to use later. I had friends that wanted to help assemble, so this all sat in my living room for a few weeks.
My parents came to visit the end of June, so we put together 50 kits with them. Doing it like an assembly line made it go by fast.
My friend Kenda Millet came over with her three kids and we did the rest and then had some brownies and ice cream to celebrate. I forgot to take a picture of our group, but got one of the finished product.





No comments:
Post a Comment