Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Book of Mormon

Every once in a while I come across a church talk or thought that I especially like and pass it along to some members of my family. Although I probably won't post something each week I thought it might be easier to just add them to my blog.

Since the beginning of the year I have been the Sunday School teacher for the 12 year olds in our ward. (congregation) There are 22 kids on the class role but I usually have about 10-15 in attendance. They are all great kids and I have really enjoyed teaching them as well as being taught by them. A year or two ago our church started a new youth curriculum called, "Come Follow Me," that covers one gospel topic a month. The new curriculum is student centered and kids are encouraged to take an active role in the lesson. The topic for January was "The Godhead", in February it was "The Plan of Salvation" and this month we've been studying about the "Atonement of Jesus Christ." 

The lesson for this week is "How can the Book of Mormon help me strengthen my faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ." One of the things I really love about the new curriculum is that each lesson is accompanied by scriptural references from the Bible and Book or Mormon as well as really good conference talks and sometimes videos. It's a great way to study the gospel by topic.


For the lesson we watched the, "Book or Mormon" introduction video. At the end of the video is a URL to a page on Mormon.org that discusses the Book of Mormon.
http://www.mormon.org/beliefs/book-of-Mormon

In the talk outlined in the lesson it reads,
"The Book of Mormon was written for our day and for the days ahead. Approximately one million copies of the Book of Mormon were printed in the first 100 years following the Restoration. This included 15 languages, a remarkable undertaking. In the next 50 years (1930–80), more than 25 million copies were printed in 41 languages. Since that time 30 years ago, 125 million additional copies of the Book of Mormon have been printed in 107 languages, including Selections from the Book of Mormon. The influence and impact of the Book of Mormon will continue to grow as the kingdom of God is carried to every nation, kindred, tongue, and people.
The title page, likely written by Moroni, reveals the book’s main purposes. The first purpose specifically addresses the descendants of the children of Lehi. The final purpose is the “convincing of [all people] that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God” (title page of the Book of Mormon)."
I love the Book of Mormon and what it has brought to my life. I'm grateful I get to "teach" these kids and in the process continue to be taught.

No comments: