Sunday, September 18, 2022

The Grand Canyon AKA The "Giant Hole"

 I've always wanted to visit the Grand Canyon, especially since neither Mike nor I had ever been. I also didn't want one of my children to plummet to their deaths onto the canyon floor by "accident", so I had to wait a considerable amount of time before I felt fairly sure they'd all survive. Since we only have Sarah home for a couple more years before college we've tried to fit in as many little trips as we can when the kids have school breaks. They had a long weekend, so we left on Thursday to get some driving in and then arrived early Friday. 

We wanted to get a short hike in Friday evening, but we left a little late in the evening. We decided to hike...to "Ooh Ahh Point". We got some great pictures, but couldn't hang out for long, because we were losing daylight. When we got back up it was dark. Totally dark. Another hiker had actually waited in the parking lot to make sure the dumb family made it out okay. ;) We had phone lights, so we were fine, but I got some extra power steps by carrying a toddler. Good times. 







One thing I have come to grips with in my old age, is that I'm scared of heights. Not petrified, but scared. This hike didn't phase me at all, BUT, my boys, one in particular, walking along the edge, made me very anxious. Sigh. I know I can't wrap them in bubble, but I'm very grateful they aren't (yet) daredevils in sports/life. 







On Saturday we kept it low key and walked along the rim from one visitors center to the other. Easy and beautiful. Highlight for the kids were all the lizards they found along the trail.









I wanted one more "hike", so we did part of a longer hike and the name is escaping me. (Since it's Black Friday) There was a person being rescued, which the kids found fascinating to watch. 



 Maybe we'll come back kid free some day and see more of the Grand Canyon, but we're good for now. I'm glad we could check it off the bucket list. 

No comments: