Sunday, April 20, 2008

Mothers of young children

Yesterday a girlfriend of mine brought her two kids, both a little older than mine, over for a play date. She is a super mom that works hard all day and then comes home and gives her kids all of her attention. While we were talking Elder Ballard's talk from the last conference came up. It is a talk about mothers, and especially young mothers, and all the challenges we face. It was so good to hear how aware a general authority is of mothers of small children.

Being a mother is the greatest blessing I have ever received, but it has also been my greatest trial. I think it is a positive trial, but a trial nonetheless. Our children teach us so much about patience and love, but I hope I'm not the only mother that gets flustered at times. I think that mothers of all ages have challenges, but I think when we're young it is so new to us that these challenges can sometimes seem, or are, greater. There is nothing like waking up with an infant all night and then chasing around a toddler that needs as much of your attention all day. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world, but it can be tiring physically, mentally and spiritually.

I loved the part in Elder Ballards talk when he talked about being released from the bishopric of his ward after 10 years and finally being able to join his young family for sacrament. His wife was singing in the choir and he got to watch their 6 young kids. He only watched them for a few minutes, but said it was the busiest he's ever been. Mike is an amazing father, but it makes me feel good when he watches the kids and doesn't get anything else done, because he can't. I'm not superwoman, but sometimes being a mom makes me feel like it. (as well as the wicked step mother also ;-)

Elder Ballard talked about four things we can do as young mothers to reduce pressure and enjoy our families more.

1. Recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. I'm so worried about being so busy that I miss out on important moments with my kids. (i.e. I missed Steven rolling over because I was cleaning. j/k)

2. Don't overschedule yourselves or your kids. This is one of my weaknesses. I work about 10 hrs/week from home, but I do it more for myself then the money. I enjoy having something to do, but it's hard when something needs to be done for work and Sarah wants to go outside and play. It can be hard to find the right balance at times.

3. Find some time for yourselves to cultivate your gifts and interests.

4. Pray study and teach the gospel. I seem to find time to blog, but there are days when I don't read my scriptures and I feel bad, because I know I need that for strength.

He also gives some great ideas of what husbands can do to be supportive.

I just really appreciated this talk and would suggest reading it to everyone that hasn't yet. Here is the URL:
http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-851-37,00.html

Congrats to all you moms out there who do it so well. Thank you for your examples.

4 comments:

Tiffany Anderson said...

I love it, thanks for the link.

Valerie said...

My favorite talk of conference this time! That's probably because we were listening to conference on the radio, I was cleaning up after my children at the same time, and my husband was gone for work the whole weekend. I turned up the radio LOUD when Elder Ballard told the kids he had some ideas about what they could do to help their moms. And they listened! That must have been one of the "moments" he was talking about!

The Parks said...

Hey Liz,
I am throwing Dave a BBQ for his graduation, which he doesn't know about, and I wanted to invite you and Mike to come. Be sure to bring your cute kids!

It's May 2nd (friday) at 6 pm. It's at a park down the street from my parent's house and I will get you the address if you can come, or I'll get it soon and send it out. My email is cpark1104@hotmail.com. Thanks!

Jen said...

This was my favorite talk from conference. It actually made me cry - it seemed like it was directed for me personally! It just makes me feel better that I am not the only one who goes through this! It was a great talk!!