Sunday, October 18, 2015

Fall piano recital

Last week Sarah and Steven had their fall piano recital. Their teachers hold the recital in a senior living home near the Jordan River Temple. It's the perfect place because they have a really nice grand piano and the residents come to see the performance in addition to the families. Although there were plenty of beginners playing there were some students that played incredible pieces. (My kids were obviously in that group) ;)


Steven started taking lessons from Katy Thomas a few months ago and has picked it up quickly. When I nag him about practicing I sometimes expect his to say, "I Quit!", but he doesn't. He really enjoys it. He's had his song, Happy Feet, memorized for a few weeks. He's used to practicing on a keyboard, so when he got to a grand piano he accidentally put his fingers on the wrong keys. :) I only noticed because I'd heard him practice over 100 times, but my mother in law couldn't tell. He did a great job. 

Sarah's teacher wanted her to play Tarantella, a complex piano piece. Sarah was practicing it well but felt it might be a little too complicated. She chose to learn "Love Story" by Taylor Swift, a song she's loved for quite some time. She practiced it A LOT and played it beautifully. (Her introduction got cut off because her page turner forgot to go up there and I had to hand off my phone to Lynette) 




Piano is one of those things I'm living vicariously through my children. I know I could learn if I took lessons, but I'm glad my kids are able to play.


No comments: