Monday, March 9, 2015

Hawaii day 9- Dole Plantation

We had planned on hiking Diamond Head our last day on the Island. I was very excited not only for the grandeur of the view at the top, but also for the physical exertion. I'd heard it was something not to miss. Mike had heard from a couple guys on his crew that the Dole Plantation was SO COOL we just had to go. He mentioned a train and maze and I was quickly out voted.

There are a few facts about the Dole Plantation. First of all, it's a working plantation. Not every day you get to see one of those. Second, it has the worlds largest maze. A foreign country built a bigger one a few years back so Dole expanded theirs to once again be #1. The novelty wore off quickly, but it was kind of fun. (Again, my point of view is probably jaded by not being able to hike Diamond Head)


Third, you can ride the "Pineapple Express" and listen to music by the same name. If kids like trains, they'll enjoy this train. If they don't, they'll look like Sarah in this picture. ;)

There were plenty of picture opps. 








Another cool Hawaiian tree is the painted Eucalyptus. They really do look like they're painted with lots of colors. They are very beautiful. 

I know the kids had fun, BUT if we ever get to take a trip like this again, we are hiking Diamond Head first. The Dole Plantation is technically a "one of a kind" experience, but for me it was a just a tourist trap. (sorry for the mildly negative tone, I wanted that hike) ;)

Our last day was spent in flight. We woke up early and headed to the airport. Steven was happy because although it was his turn to sit by himself there wasn't anyone seated next to him.

No comments: