I keep putting off this post until I have sufficient time to adequately honor my husband, but if I don't write something now this post won't get finished until 2015.
Thirteen days ago Mike and I celebrated our ten year anniversary. TEN YEARS! That may not seem like that long to some, but it is a milestone I am proud of hitting. Ten years and thirteen days ago I made the best decision of my life. Ten years and thirteen days ago I married my best friend. I know I've said it before, and when my mind starts to go I'll say it a lot, but here it goes...Mike might not be the perfect man, but he is totally and completely, 110% the perfect man for me. I feel blessed every single day that I get the privilege of being his wife.
I'm not going to reread any of my previous posts before I write this, so in case any of this is old news, I'm sorry. Here it is anyways. :) Here are some of the things I love most about Mike.
1. He is the sweetest guy on the planet. Seriously. Most people don't know this side of him, but from day one of dating him (not before) he has been the nicest boyfriend/husband around. When we started dating he changed from sarcastic, immature boss to sweet (but still immature) boyfriend. I lived by myself and every night he would drive to my apartment to say goodnight. Even on bball night when he'd get done at 10:30 PM. Even when there was two feet of snow on the ground and he had to park his car a block away and walk through the snow. He has always opened my car door, held my hand and kissed me goodnight. I am one lucky lady!
2. He is the best dad around. When I think of choices I've made in my life, both good and bad, I don't want to change any of them, because they all led me to Mike. Had we not been married ten years ago we wouldn't be parents to the four greatest kids around. (BTW, when I talk about my husband or kids being "the best", that doesn't mean that anyone else's aren't also. It's okay to be biased and I hope all other parents and spouses are as well) Mike is a wonderful parent. He's fun (since he's still on their maturity level), a great role model, and always kind. We have a no-spanking policy and although I've broken it a few times, Mike has never spanked any of our kids, and that's saying something. (to me at least) He loves his kids and this makes me love him that much more.
3. He is a great man. He may not be perfect, but he is always honest and good. He honors who he is and who he's supposed to be. He uses the priesthood to bless our family and I'm grateful to have his influence in our home. It might sound odd, but I find his spirituality to be very attractive. (sorry if that sounds strange) :)
4. He is a hard worker. Mike is a wonderful example of hard work and determination for our kids. He worked full time while putting himself through college and then went back and got an MBA while working full time. Right now he works two jobs, and although I tease that flying with the Guard is his "fun" job, it still means he's working a lot. I'm grateful for how hard he works to provide for us.
5. He's handsome. Really, really handsome. Not that any of you care about that, but he is. :) I don't think it's fair that men get better looking with age, but it's very true in his case.
6. I probably didn't need to number these, but I'll keep going. I'm grateful for his mellow personality. (at all times except when playing church basketball) Mike is the yin to my yang and I feel like we balance each other out well.
For our anniversary we decided to go ALL out. We went to dinner and then were too tired to go see a movie so we stayed home and rented the fourth (or fifth) Fast and Furious movie. Yes, you know you've been married for a while when you decide to celebrate with a movie like Fast and Furious. Since Mike likes watches I bought us matching watches. (cheesy right?) I'll pretend it's because they symbolize the ten years of time we've been together, but it's mainly because he likes watches and mine was falling apart. Here is a picture of our matching awesomeness.
Here are some posts from past anniversaries. I realized the last couple years we were so busy with moving I didn't even post anything. For those years I'll just summarize: Mike I love you, you're the best, thanks for another awesome year!
2011
2010- Apparently Mike created this post before I could post something
2009
- We went to Vegas to celebrate and I posted it HERE
2008
Here is a post I rediscovered while putting together a blog book called "Ode to my husband."
Happy Anniversary Mike! Thank you for the wonderful life we share!

No comments:
Post a Comment