Sunday, December 29, 2013

Merry Christmas to all!

I love the Christmas season! I love the lights, sounds, movies, treats, gift giving, Christmas cards and best of all spending time with loved one. This year did not disappoint.

Since our marriage Mike and I have split the major holidays between our families each year. One gets us for Thanksgiving and the other for Christmas. (Lucky them!)  ;) This year has been unique because we've celebrated both holidays with both families a few days apart.

On Friday the 20th my mom called to tell me that my grandma Betty, her mom, was dying. Betty has been sick for a while, but her final decline happened quickly. The kids and I drove out the next morning so we could say goodbye to Betty as well as support my mom. We got there in the evening and went straight to Betty's. The kids gave her hugs and kisses. I was able to go back a couple other times with my mom to see her and am grateful I was able to spend some time with her.

Since my mom was sad we tried to help cheer her up by decorating her house for the holiday. My dad put up the tree and the kids helped decorate it. I think my mom enjoyed the kid energy in the house for a few days. Although the reason for our trip to Colorado right before Christmas was for a sad reason, we were grateful for the opportunity to be with my family. We left Colorado early on Christmas Eve. I thought I took some pictures, but I guess I didn't. I only have pictures of how bad the roads were on the way home but they don't do it justice. (It was scary!)

On Christmas Eve Mike's family always gets together at his grandparents house in Bountiful, UT. Although his Grandma passed away in July his sweet Grandpa chose to continue the tradition. Sarah wasn't feeling well so she and I stayed home while the boys all enjoyed the party. Before they left we let them open their Christmas pajamas, which is a tradition of ours.



Sarah and I cuddled up and watched "Home Alone" which I'd recorded off the TV. I'm glad I watched it with Sarah and not the boys! I made a personal vow to not let the boys see it until they are teenagers. It's a funny  movie, but I can imagine them pulling some tricks like that if the ideas were put in their heads. (not to mention the bad language) :)

On Christmas morning the kids woke us up bright and early. Steven ran downstairs, saw Sarah's gift, and ran up to tell (yell) everyone. Last year I started a tradition of watching the Nativity and reading Luke 2 before gifts but that didn't happen this year. Steven was in Minecraft heaven, Sarah loved her dollhouse and Adam got the airplane and flying UFO he'd wanted.
Christmas Eve calm before the storm





After we lazed around a bit we visited Erik and Kevin's grave sites. We'd planned on visiting Erik earlier but the weather had been bad and then we went to Colorado. The kids enjoyed decorating his Christmas tree and Sarah decorated his sign as well. His headstone finally got made but the ground had already frozen so it won't be installed until spring.


Lilian's family patted down the snow in front of both graves and put a tree in between the two



The boys were so tired they passed out on the way home. (Sarah faked it)

Kevin's new marker had been laid so we visited him next. This first set of holidays has been hard for everyone that misses him.

I really love receiving Christmas cards. Thank you to everyone that sent us one. (do you like how I keep pretending I have a readership?) :)

Although Christmas may not be the real date of our Saviors birth I am thankful for this time of year when so many peoples thoughts turn to Him. I am grateful for Him and the wonderful gifts he gives us.


1 comment:

shelly said...

Happy New Year Liz! You know I still read your blog =) I'll have to get your address next year to send you a card to add to your giant collection. I'm sorry for the loss of your baby and your grandma in one year. May 2014 bring lots of joy!