Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My Alter Ego's

For the last year I have had an alter ego, and another personality was manifest today. I don't want this to be confused as my being two faced, nor suffering from a split personality disorder. Unlike others with alter egos I am aware of what my "other" is doing, and I am in fact in charge the whole time. (but don't tell my kids)

About a year ago Steven decided that I should be Princess Tianna at dinner time. He has always been a good eater, but when he was picky, Tianna came out and he would always eat what she served. I put a smile on my face, butcher my best southern accent, and call everything on his plate some sort of Jambalaya. He loves it! As soon as I start talking he grins from ear to ear.

A key to my alter ego's is that they NEVER get upset with Steven. They always talk with a smile on their faces and when he makes a mess it's "no problem, mistakes happen." As you can imagine, he beckons my other sides often. :)

Today we were playing Princess (me), Prince (Steven) and Lady in waiting (Sarah). I used my "best" British accent as we climbed trees and visited the library. Steven wanted me to stay in character at the library and insisted I wear one of Sarah's crowns the whole time. I felt silly, but he loves it.

His reaction to my alter ego's has made me really ponder how I treat him. Do I really get after him that much? I don't think I do. I don't think he asks for them to get out of trouble, but after he spilled cool aid today he told me by saying, "remember, the princess never gets upset with me." I got after him a little by telling him to be careful, but when I changed my voice from perky princess to mom he started crying. I didn't yell or raise my voice, it was just a little stern. I worry about him as the middle child, so I've been trying my hardest to be extra gentle with him, because he seems to really need it right now. Until he accepts me as the perfect mommy, I'll just have to continue being the perfect princess. :)

2 comments:

Simply Ashley said...

Oh Liz, you are an AMAZING mother! Steven is just so tender hearted. Of course he loves a sweetly voiced princess! :) I love you!!

Tiffany Anderson said...

I love the princess idea. It's just like what we were talking about the other day with our nice voice and the mean voice and how they never ever ever seem to hear the nice voice. I may have to become a princess as well sometimes. :)