Today in Young Women's we had a really good lesson on being a peacemaker. Although I "know" everything that was taught, I still needed, and appreciated, the lesson. I know I've blogged more than a couple times on my need to relax and not get upset over small things, so I won't go into that again. I'd just like to share some of the scriptures and thoughts from the lesson. I remembered a lot after church, but it's 11:30, I'm tired, and should have blogged this earlier. :-)
One of the things I love about this teacher, Kristen, is that I see myself in a lot of what she says about herself. We both got lucky in marrying men that are peacekeepers. Mike is perfect for me in a lot of ways, and one way is that his temperament is different than mine. He never gets upset over trivial things, and if I do, they are quickly resolved because you can't argue one way for very long. :-) He is a great example to me.
One thing that Kristen mentioned is that during an argument, it doesn't matter about what, the Spirit will leave if there is contention. Even if you don't believe in the Holy Ghost, or Spirit, there is a different feeling in a home when people are getting along, and when they're arguing. Sometimes I feel justified in my bickering because I think I'm right, (or am right) and therefore it's ok to argue to get my point across. That isn't the case. If I get upset, or bring contention into my home, the Spirit will leave regardless of who's right. I know this, but I don't always do it. (why?)
Romans 12:10-21
Proverbs 15:1 "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger."
Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God."
Matthew 5:39, 44 "But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." " But I say unto you, Love you enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you:"
I love the Sermon on the Mount, because it is all about love. That is the underlying factor in being a peacekeeper. You love others, so you are willing to be patient, forgiving, long suffering (terrible two's last a whole year ;-) and all of the other attributes of our Savior that make Him the supreme example to everyone. It is really hard sometimes to "turn the other cheek" and walk away, or to bite your tongue when you really want to be heard, but the resulting blessings will be a more peaceful house, better behaved children and better relationships with other people. Tomorrow is a new day, and it will be filled with peace. (and lots of laundry because it's Monday) :-)
I know I've suggested this talk before, but it's one of my favorites. I have a few quotes from it hanging on my mirror. It is called, "The Tongue of Angels," by Elder Holland.
3 comments:
Thanks for your thoughts during the lesson Liz - you always contribute so much to the spirit of each lesson, and I love working with you!
Thanks for sharing that Liz. Sometimes I wonder why I find it so easy to argue with my (almost) 4 year old. I definitely need reminders. I'm excited to read Elder Holland's talk.
Love this post, thanks for sharing it!!
Post a Comment