Thursday, November 5, 2009

Welcome Airman Starley

Last Tuesday Mike was officially sworn in as a member of the Utah Air National Guards 151st Air Refueling Wing. This is something we've wanted for so long it was the first time I could really say I had a surreal experience. I'm very proud of my husband.

The man swearing him in is Major Nate Niederhauser. Nate is Mike's Aunt's cousin and was very instrumental in Mike getting the pilot position. Nate brought Mike up to meet the other officers and really put in a good word for him. I thought it was really neat that they allowed him to do the oath. Nate was an f-16 fighter pilot before joining the Guard and switching to slower KC-135's.



Here are the words of the Oath he took:

I, Steven Michael Starley, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the state of Utah against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the Governor of Utah and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to law and regulations. So help me God.

Some other members of the Guard came to his swearing in. I got to meet a few of the men on the board and those that are in charge. Mike's commitment is 10 years after flight school, so that will be about 12 total, although he'll fly as long as they'll let him. I'm sure we'll get to know all of these people really well.


Just some fun pictures. After the swearing in the kids and I "played" air hockey and then pool until Steven fell off a chair onto the tough floor. Then we ate vending machine food. :-)


4 comments:

Becky said...

Congratulations to both of you! How exciting to finally be where you are!

Miranda Whitney said...

CONGRATS!!!! that is so awesome and well deserved :)

Jon said...

Way to go Mike! We are so happy for you guys.

Jon said...

that was Jamie..not Jon.