Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pinching those Precious Pennies

For a while I've been using coupons while I grocery shop, but just recently I've decided to buckle down and take the time necessary to really cut my grocery bill. We use financial software and I'm seriously a little shocked each month with how much I spend. I wanted to share a few websites that can help you save some money, although you'll have to shop around AND you have to have room for food storage since you'll be stocking up on items you won't use up every week.

With both of the grocery sites you need to keep the coupons you get in the mail and get a Sunday paper to reap the full rewards. It also requires filing the coupons until you're ready to use them.

The first website is a great beginner one, because it only showcases one store each week. It is called Grocery Guru and is featured in the SL Tribune. It has menu ideas, coupons and "Hot deals."

The next website can save you a lot of money, but it requires more time. You can pick from a number of stores and it has all their deals and matches them with coupons. It is called Grocery Smarts and the password is g84ckv. The woman in charge will also come and do "parties" or speak at church functions if anyone is interested. I haven't been to one, but my friend Kellie is a big fan.

Another place you can look is a website called Pinching your Pennies. My bosses wife suggested it to me, and it has some valuable resources. It gives promo codes to a lot of stores as well as the grocery guides like the above stores. It's more of a one stop shop for saving money. But again, it requires time. (and who has any?) ;-)

My friend Kelly also posts some money savings ideas on her blog that you can get to through mine. She posted a recipe for laundry soap if you're adventurous. It only costs around $11/year to make it.

I just wanted to share, since I'm sure we're not the only family looking to save money in todays economy. :-)

3 comments:

andrea said...

Thanks Liz!! My mom just got her knee replaced a month ago so I have been doing the grocery shopping regularly. It adds up!! Oh my lanta!! Thank you for posting this information! I will be sure to check it out!! :)

Kelly said...

Good for you Liz! Tonight or tomorrow we're going to have a post on our blog about coupon clipping. I have a friend who spent $572 in the past 3 months for groceries (for a family of 4). I hope to be that good someday!

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

It has been fun catching up with your blog. I have been very bad at looking at people's blogs lately! Those websites sound great!!! Yes, I love conference too. It's such a great weekend. And I do have to say, it is SO nice that Lee is done with school. You will love it when Mike is done with school, like you mentioned. But being in school has its great points too--like you also mentioned. Thanks for all the great posts! I especially loved the picture of Sarah at the Jazz game with her dress on under her jersey! How fun!