Sunday, April 5, 2009

Blessing of General Conference

I didn’t become active in my church until a couple weeks before my 20th birthday. I stopped going regularly when I was 15 and stopped completely in my 17th year. Of all of my regrets during that time period many have to do with what I didn’t do as much as what I did.

When I served in Young Women’s I was proud and envious of the girls when they shared their stories about seminary. These young girls loved their teachers and learned so much about how to live right and keep themselves clean. In my ward a member of the bishopric is a seminary teacher, and I imagine the impact he has on the kids in his classes. He is not only a great teacher, but is really funny. Those kids are lucky. I can remember my seminary teacher in middle school, but I don’t even remember what my high school seminary teacher looked like in Springville. I planned on attending in Oregon, and did for a few months, but then I again just used Seminary as a free period for stupidity.

I didn’t read the Book of Mormon all the way through until I was 20, and was so upset at myself for missing out on this wonderful blessing for so long. I fell in love with it. When I got to 3rd Nephi I was dumbfounded. Somehow I had gone my whole life as a member of the LDS religion without knowing that Jesus Christ visited the American continent after His resurrection and taught the people there. How would my life have been different if I’d read this wonderful book of scripture earlier in life? Alma the Younger became my instant hero and I'm still in awe and gratitude every time I read it.

My mom made a valiant effort when we were younger to make us watch General Conference, but I have no memory of GC other than sleeping on the couch while my mom watched. I still remember the 1st time I watched General Conference all the way through, and by my own choice. It was the October session in 2000. I was part of an incredibly fun singles ward. We hung out together, ate together, and even watched conference together in our pj’s. Within minutes of its beginning I once again regretted all the years of not watching. These weren’t old boring men lecturing us on everything we’re doing wrong or shouldn’t do. These were Prophets, Apostles and teachers giving us wise and loving council for challenges we face today. Their messages are about love, faith, hope, families, marriage, trials, frugality, preparation and many other topics desperately needed in today’s world. Why had I neglected this blessing for so long?

Elder Robert D. Hales was the 2nd speaker this morning and gave a wonderful talk on Provident Living, which is something I’ve been working at. (Though I have a long way to go) Twice a year we, as members of the LDS faith, receive guidance on living within our means, Staying out of debt, Preparing for tough times with savings and food storage, and helping those less fortunate than ourselves. Imagine how our current economic climate would be different if people, including many LDS members, headed that council. I like the phrase “Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.” Easier to say than do, but wise council. One of my friends just posted a recipe to make homemade laundry soap for $11/year. Imagine how much could be saved by ideas like this.

I’m just rambling now, but I know I could do with far less luxuries than I have. Elder Hales (or the sister following him, I can’t remember) also said that the more we spend on ourselves, the less we have to help others. We may have a lot and be able to afford luxuries, but what if we used that money to bless other families less fortunate than ourselves.

I'm just so grateful that for eight hours each spring and fall I can listen to this wise council that feeds me spiritually and gives me strength.

3 comments:

The Oldroyd's said...

Wow, thanks for sharing. We truly are so blessed. I enjoyed reading this post. It is so true how we grow up and have families of our own and discover what really matters. Thanks again for this post.

The Parks said...

Thank you for posting that. I really needed to read it.

Liz said...

Thanks ladies, but when I was talking about being stupid and my regrets, it only pertains to me. :-)