Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sunday Thoughts

Despite the fact that I only got 2 hrs of sleep Saturday night due to my Bunco Bella's sleepover I had a really nice Sunday. (I probably would have gotten more out of it had I not been in zombie mode)

Our Sunday School lesson focused on Ether and one of my favorite chapters, Ether 12, was a focal point. This is a great chapter on faith for anyone that wants to read/re-read it. I even suggested my mom read it to my dad to help him sleep. :-)

Anyways, I have a quote in my scriptures next to Ether 12:27 that reads:

"No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God...and it is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire and which will make us more like our Father and Mother in heaven,"
~ Orson F. Whitney in Kimball's Faith Precedes the Miracle

At different stages in my life I have looked for different themes in the scriptures. When I was getting active in the church I loved Alma the Younger, Ammon, Enos and all the other greats that didn't start out so great. :-) Lately I've really appreciated all the trials that all the prophets went through. These were men that communed with angels, had the power of God at their finger tips, had great faith, yet still experienced trials above and beyond any that I may ever face. I love the comfort and guidance the scriptures give and they really do mean something different every time we read them. How lucky we are to have access to these wonderful resources for happiness.

Just wanted to share. :-)

3 comments:

Amber said...

I love that scripture, too. At so many times/ trials in my life, I have looked back at the scripture for strength. I look up to you so much for your spirituality!

The Oldroyd's said...

Hey Liz, Thanks for commenting on mine. Love this post of yours. It is a great for us all to get through hard times. Thanks for sharing.

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving. Isn't it crazy how fast kids grow? That's great that Sarah is three! She sounds like a fun little girl to have around. It is also very interesting about your cat and the Christmas tree! I would have never guessed that a cat would like to cuddle up in a tree. Merry Christmas!