Wednesday, November 12, 2008

In my daughter's eyes

Being a parent is not only incredibly fun, but can also be really humbling and eye opening.

For the last few days Sarah and I have switched roles. I am Sarah, or whatever name she gives me, and she is the mommy. Mike is always the dad, so I have to call him that or I get reprimanded and Steven either plays himself, or my little/big brother Tan or Deenan.

Mostly it's just been fun to hear her "motherly" voice tell me what to do, but she has also given me a glimpse of myself that I don't think is always flattering. Here are some of the highlights:

While putting me down for a "nap" I asked her for all the things she asks for on a daily basis. I asked her to to read me more books and she replied, "No, I'm tired, it's time for bed." I then asked her to sing me another song and she went to the door, said "hold on, I need to check my email," left the room for a minute and then came back and told me to go to bed. (I really don't think I do that one) Most of the time she did what I asked like a good mother. She would "read" me books, which consists of reciting the books she's memorized. I also think she got my singing abilities, which means she'll sing on key when she hits her early 20's. (j/k I love to hear her sing)

She has told me on a number of occasions not to take a certain tone with her and I especially like, "you can't tell me "no" because I'm the mom." How can I argue with that? (OK, I still do)

If we tried to call her Sarah, even when she was in trouble, she would correct us and say she was mom. She didn't let her guard down at all.

Last time we went to the library she said she wanted to drive, but I told her she always gets to drive since she's the mommy, so it's my turn. She insisted, but so did I. I then went to pack up some things for Steven and when I came back down she had pulled a chair over to the key rack and was trying to get my car keys. She then went into the garage and tried to open my car door and get in. She was relentless. I had to laugh. (I drove in case you're wondering) :-)

She's decided to be Sarah today, but it was fun and illuminating while it lasted. I've told her that if I'm working on the computer and she needs/wants me she can tell me to stop working and I will. So far it's been good for both of us. She's so much fun. :-)

4 comments:

andrea said...

i loved this story! she is so adorable! i love how you both switched roles. what a memorable experience :)

Rose said...

Haha I love it! Cute Sarah! I especially loved the "hold on I have to check my e-mail"! :) I love that everyone else was the same, but you and her!

Kelly said...

Very cute! It's interesting to see the world as children see it.

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

That is soo interesting what you did--switching roles. I wonder how my boys would react! That is fun that Sarah is in tumbling class. I bet she loves it.