Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Scariest moment of our lives

Last night Sarah had a Febrile Seizure and although they are fairly common, it was the scariest thing to ever happen to Mike and me. She had a small fever and cough, but had been happy and playing all day and then her body temperature rose really rapidly to 105 and it sent her into a seizure.

When she started seizing I was wondering what was causing the seizure, but that wasn't the really scary part since I'd been around people having seizures before and know they aren't life threatening. She got really stiff, started to twitch and her eyes were open, but rolling back into her head. The really scary part was that she stopped breathing and started turning blue. We were scared that she'd swallowed something before she'd started having the seizure. Mike checked her heart beat and it was normal and then checked her airway by breathing on her nose and it was clear, so she wasn't choking. After the seizure ended she started breathing again and then started crying. She was suddenly so hot.

Mike's brother and sister-in-law had been over and called 911 for us and when the EMT's arrived they said we needed to take her to the hospital. They gave Sarah a "prize" of a little yellow bear for riding in the ambulance. When we got to the hospital they explained everything and then checked her to see what was causing the fever and cough and determined it was just viral.

I learned a lot about febrile seizures that I didn't know before. They are more common when there is a family history, and there is one in our case. I found out that Mike had one when he was Sarah's age, and in his case his temp jumped to 106 and he stopped breathing during the seizure as well. His mom told me how terrifying it was for them. They didn't know what it was either and his dad even kicked in their door trying to get inside to call 911. It's also more likely to reoccure once it's happened. I had given Sarah some Tylenol in the morning, but since her fever wasn't high I just let her body try to heal itself, but I'll have to be more aggressive with my kids fevers in the future. It was scary, but at lease we know it's normal in case it happens again.

I'm sure most of you have heard of them, but since I hadn't I wanted to mention it. Sarah is fine and they are all sleeping in our bed right now. Her temperature is down and she's just resting from all the excitement.

Here is a link that explains a little more about them:
http://parentcenter.babycenter.com/0_febrile-seizures_1439481.pc

5 comments:

Tiffany Anderson said...

Oh..how scarey. I am so happy she is ok. I had never heard of a febrile seizure before. Sarah is lucky she has such good parents.

Kristal said...

Your poor princess :( I still can't believe that happened, I'm sure you guys are still shaken up about it. Give her a hug for us and we'll see you soon. Love you!!

Jen said...

oh my gosh. I had chills just reading this! That's so scary! I'm glad she is ok!

Miranda Whitney said...

Oh sweet Sarah, that is so horrible we are so glad that she is ok. Please give her a hug and tell her we love her :)

Steve, Crystal, Cohen and Carson said...

Okay so this was making me cry- of course I am a little emotional since Cohen is having his surgery today. Good thing mike knew what to do- i probably would have panicked- I am glad she is okay