On Mother's Day our Bishopric, through cancellations and miscommunication, ended up giving the talks. The 2nd counselor, who is about my age, based his whole talk on a talk given by Sheri Dew titled "Are We Not All Mother's?" He likes the talk so much that he keeps a copy in his scriptures. I thought that if a guy likes a talk on motherhood that much then I had better read it.
It is a great talk that I would suggest. I love reading talks because they are short, but give you the spiritual kick you need in a small amount of time. Here are some of the highlights I liked most in the talk.
- It focuses a lot on our fore ordination to become mothers even if we don't have children of our own. Eve was given her name, meaning "the mother of all living" before she had ever born a child.
- "men have to have something given to them in mortality to make them saviors of men, but not mothers, not women. They are born with an inherent right, an inherent authority, to be the saviors of human souls...and the regenerating force in the lives of God's children."
-As daughters of our Heavenly Father, and as daughters of Eve, we are all mothers and we have always been mothers. And we each have the responsibility to love and help lead the rising generation. How will our young women learn to live as women of God unless they see what women of God look like, meaning what we wear, watch, and read; how we fill our time and our minds; how we face temptation and uncertainty; where we find true joy; and why modesty and femininity are hallmarks of righteous women? How will our young men learn to value women of God if we don’t show them the virtue of our virtues?
-"As mothers in Israel, we are the Lord’s secret weapon. Our influence comes from a divine endowment that has been in place from the beginning. In the premortal world, when our Father described our role, I wonder if we didn’t stand in wide-eyed wonder that He would bless us with a sacred trust so central to His plan and that He would endow us with gifts so vital to the loving and leading of His children. I wonder if we shouted for joy at least in part because of the ennobling stature He gave us in His kingdom. The world won’t tell you that, but the Spirit will.
We just can’t let the Lord down. And if the day comes when we are the only women on earth who find nobility and divinity in motherhood, so be it. For mother is the word that will define a righteous woman made perfect in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom, a woman who has qualified for eternal increase in posterity, wisdom, joy, and influence."
It really is humbling to think of what a great gift it is to be a mother and to be motherly to other peoples children. I loved my calling in Young Women's because I felt I was able to make a small difference in the girls lives. (not that they always listened to my "wise" council) ROSE! j/k;-)
Here is the URL if you would like to read it. There were also a couple talks in the notes that look like good reading.
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=291c8c6a47e0c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1
Have a great day to all you wonderful mother's out there.
3 comments:
What are you implying Liz!? I have heard only great things about that talk so maybe I should read it!Btw I thought my mom was going to send it and She thought I was going to send it! We need to work on our communication! But no worries we will get it out....... evenutally!
Thanks for a nice "boost" this morning! I love that talk!
Wow! That is a very spiritual and uplifting talk! It's nice to hear/read things like that once in a while. What a good example you are for posting that on your blog.
Post a Comment