Today is our 20th anniversary, so I wanted to write 20 things I love about Mike. We won’t be together today, but that’s the way these things go in the military/airline life. I was going to do a Facebook post and list these, but I wanted to write explanations for some so this became a blog post. These are in no particular order.
1- Best friend - I have great friends that I love, but there is no one I’d rather spend time with. He's my favorite date, concert and vacation buddy. If he liked to run, my life would be complete. ;)
2- Great dad - Fatherhood looks good on Mike. Mike loves his kids and goes out of his way to be a great father. He forgoes sleep and comforts to spend time with them, knowing how fleeting time can be. He has been known to get sand blown in his eye when experiencing life with his children.
3- Peacemaker - Mike is a chill person, at least at home, and especially with me. He doesn’t pick fights and doesn’t overreact if I do. (It’s happened once or twice) Besides the great PB&J debacle of April 2015, Mike has been fairly unflappable. He is the secret to our marital bliss.
4- Financially responsible- Mike used a pocket computer with Microsoft Money to track his finances when we were dating. He doesn’t worry about keeping up with the Joneses which has been a blessing in our marriage. Until his new car, he always drove old cars that were paid off and sometimes held together with duct tape. (RIP Captain)
5- Handsome- Forget Captain America, he’s got nothing on Major Starley. (I can be as cheesy as I want in my 20th anniversary post) I fully expect other spouses to be as biased as me, but I do enjoy looking at my husband.
6- Body positive - In our 21 years together Mike has never made a comment, innuendo, hint or look that was negative about my body. I’ve gained and lost ~200 lbs creating our children, and he’s never treated me like I was anything but beautiful to him. I’ve always appreciated that.
7 - Funny- Mike gives off a serious vibe, especially to teenage boys, but he’s funny. I always get a kick out of Sarah’s friends saying he’s intimidating, because he’s a softy. He and his brother are always sending each other videos about the Simpsons, which he still watches, and he laughs often.
8- Honors his Priesthood and Covenants - I’m thankful for a husband that loves God and Jesus and takes me to the temple.
9 - Ethical- Mike is a man of his word and makes choices based on what he views as being morally correct.
10- Hard worker - Since we started dating 21 years ago Mike has continually worked hard. He worked full time while earning his Bachelors and Masters degrees and currently works for the Utah ANG, Dept of Defense, and Delta. He’s a great provider and example to our children.
11- Good son - Mike has a great relationship with his parents. He loves and honors them. He always greets them with a hug and kiss and always leaves them with a hug, kiss, and “I love you”.
12- Cat lover - He may try to deny it, but he loves his cats. It’s cute.
13- Doesn’t sweat small stuff - Mike doesn’t let a lot bother him. If it can’t be fixed, why worry? (I don’t know what that’s like) ;) I know I have habits that annoy him. I.e. I leave drawers/cupboards open. (I’ve gotten better, but I still do it at times.) Mike never tells me to close them or gets bugged, he just silently closes them.
14- Pilot - IYKYK ;) I wasn’t attracted to Mike because he was a pilot, but it doesn’t hurt his case.
15- Fantastic smile- Seriously, it’s amazing! He may have resting grumpy face, but his smile is amazing.
16- Mechanical- Good with tools and has saved us thousands of dollars fixing cars and things around the house.
17- Fun- Mike is a fun parent and partner. (Even though I'm known as "Fun Liz") When we go to amusement parks he’s the one going on the coolest roller coasters and will be jumping out of a plane with Sarah when they choose to go skydiving. He’s a kid at heart and I’m cool if he never fully grows up.
18- Values my contribution in the home - This means a lot to me. We made the choice that I would mostly stay home with the kids. Mike has always valued what I do at home and has never questioned what I did in my “free time”. If he comes home to a messy house, he doesn’t ask what I did all day. He values motherhood and knows it’s a tough “job”.
19- Loves Deeply- Mike made me believe I could have a forever family. I knew it was possible, but I wasn’t sure if I had it in me to be married forever.
20- He’s easy to be married to - There are many challenges in life. Adulting can be hard. Parenting can be (IS!) hard. Life can be hard. Being married to Mike is easy. Being with him is a million times easier than my life was or would be without him. We’ve dealt with the loss of a child, siblings, grandparents, and loved ones. We’ve gone through job changes, lots of schooling, and lots of kids. ;) I feel fortunate to be experiencing this with Mike.
Happy 20th anniversary to my absolute favorite person on the planet!
No comments:
Post a Comment