Have you ever sucked helium to change your voice? I'm pretty sure most people have. A few weeks ago Sarah was cleaning out her closet in a way that would make Marie Kondo (and her mom) proud. She found a large Mylar balloon left over from her birthday and said she was going to change her voice. Next thing, I heard a large thud. I said, "What the heck kid?!" and Sarah responded, "I think I fell down." I went to the bathroom and she was lying on the floor unsure of how she got from the sewing area to the bathroom. She laid down in my bed and her short term memory got progressively worse. She had come home and told me all about her day and a paper she wrote for a class and did well in. I asked her about it and she couldn't remember anything from school that day. Mike came home and told her to remember and repeat three numbers. She couldn't. He took her to the ER to have her checked out. They basically gave her a field sobriety test and she passed that portion. They kept her there for a few hours and her memory got progressively better. Thankfully. Sarah stayed home from school for a couple days and turned down babysitting jobs for a couple weeks because she couldn't handle noises and had a constant headache. She still has headaches every day, but they're getting better.
Moral of this story-Don't suck helium! (I should probably confess that as a teen I sucked helium at a grocery store from the tank and woke up on the floor. I learned my lesson, but I guess didn't pass on that wisdom to my kids. Maybe my grand kids will learn.)


No comments:
Post a Comment