Here are some before pictures:
The first thing we did was paint her room a light pink. The second thing was get a new bed. When we had our foster care walk through they said that foster kids aren't allowed to sleep on trundle beds, because they're considered temporary beds. If we ever wanted to foster a girl we'd have to have a permanent bed. One of the first things Sarah got was a new bed. She loved the idea of a twin over full bunk bed and we found some cute bedding at Target that she really liked.
Doing built in bookcases and a window bench would be a lot of work so we bought Ikea Besta book shelves and a comfortable papasan chair. That would be good enough for a few weeks until we all decided we'd rather put a bench there. Steven happily adopted the papasan.
As I mentioned in her birthday post, I got the great (crazy) idea that I should make her a quilt and that would tie in everything. HA! We all love the final product, but I had no idea what I was getting myself into. We'd still like to put a long dresser where her dollhouse is and move the dollhouse to where her smaller dresser is, but that will have to wait.
Here are some pictures of the bench building process. We priced out having them built, but the pricetag was WAY over our budget. Ikea came to the rescue. The bench was three inches too long, so we cute it off and moved all the wholes. We built a base underneath and fastened everything to the wall and each other so it became a cohesive unit.
After we finished her room I jokingly told her, "Now you'd better never rebel." She knows what the word means but asked what it would mean for her to rebel. I mentioned a couple teenage rebellion things and she looked at me in all seriousness and said, "Why would I ever do that?!" Now that I have this post I can refer back to it in the future. ;)











No comments:
Post a Comment