Going to Petsmart for cat supplies is a treat for my kids. They love to look at the fish and other animals for sale. Every time we go they ask for a fish, and every time they ask I say no. There are multiple reasons. The first is that I don't want more living creatures to take care of, and another is that I can envision my cats knocking over a fish bowl as a means of eating the fish.
When we went three days ago, Sarah tried a new tactic after asking to have some pet fish. She asked if we could buy fish to feed to our cats. I thought about it for a few seconds and then said, "sure". People feed their animals live food all the time. My kids have no problem with the circle of life and have watched one of our cats eat a mouse outside. (and have found the many "gifts" our cats bring close to home once or twice a week) So, we bought two goldfish for .13/each. The kids named them Starley (smaller w/black on tail) and Stewart (bigger w/white on tail).
When we got home we put one fish in each of their bowls and waited for the feast to begin.
The cats didn't seem interested, so when we went to bed that night the fish were still swimming in their respective dishes. When we checked on them in the morning they were still untouched. I had told the kids not to get attached, because they might get eaten while they're at school. I had to run to the store, so I picked up a cheap fish carrier and goldfish food just in case our little experiment didn't work. Don't Starley and Stewart looking happier together? ;) The kids can't get enough of watching them.
While Sarah was at school yesterday the boys and I stopped by Wal-Mart and picked up some more supplies. If we were going to own them for two weeks, they might as well enjoy life, right? What do you think? Do we have enough pink? ;)
While we're gone my friend Sheryl has agreed to allow her kids to "fish sit" our newest pets, and we'll plan on finding them a permanent home before we leave. There's a very small chance we'll keep them, but I doubt it since driving 1700 miles w/ three kids and two cats seems like plenty, but we'll see.
No comments:
Post a Comment