Sunday, October 10, 2010

Love Your Body 6k


Yesterday I ran the "Love your body" 6k with my friends Andrea Yazzie and Farah Reyes. This was my third year running the race, and their first. It's usually a 5k/10k, but they held the race at Thanksgiving point and wanted to loop it through the gardens, which added on another half mile or so. I was a bit disappointed in the lack of order by the race organizers, but other than that, I really enjoyed it.

I tried a couple things during the race that I hadn't before, and I think it helped. I chewed gum, which I thought would bug me, but it helped my throat from getting dry and cold. I also didn't listen to my ipod. I wore it, thinking I'd turn it on, but I didn't end up using it. I was also really happy that I didn't stop and walk a little like I normally do. I walked through one watering station to get a quick drink, but other than that I kept going. (I normally stop once or twice very briefly each race)


My time wasn't great, but I felt really good after I crossed the finish line. There were 1067 women that ran the 6k and my friend Andrea came in 23rd overall, and I came in 70th overall. In our age group there were 252 women and Andrea came in 9th and I was 18th. Farah was a real trooper and ran with her inhaler because she has asthma. I think the really fast runners ran the 10k, but I'm still pleased with the outcome. Interestingly enough my pace was 9:40, which is the exact pace I ran at the U's race a couple weeks ago. I had a lot of fun and am hoping to work up to the 10k for next year. :-)

1 comment:

andrea said...

i love how active you are! :)