Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My foul mouthed Kiddos

I can happily report that I have never sworn in front of my kids, and neither has Mike. They'll get enough of that when they grow up, so we'll keep those words out of their vocabulary as long as possible. Having said that, both our my kids have said the "F Word" at about the same time in their language development. The word is meant to be another word, yet comes out clearly as the "F Bomb" every time.

When Sarah was a little over one, to the age of two, I taught Spanish at a small private school. The superintendent collected Frogs and had a few throughout her office. Frog was the word Sarah was trying to say when she "swore." One day the super was holding a frog and Sarah looked at her and said @#%&. She looked down and asked Sarah to repeat herself, which she did. The lady then looked at me with a, "What in the heck did your child just say," kind of a look. I told her Sarah was trying to say frog, and she spent the next few minutes on Sarah's level saying "F-RR-O-G." Sarah would then repeat her by saying @^&#. You can't get mad at a kid for saying frog, no matter how it comes out, so I just worked with her and she can now pronounce FROG. :-)

A few days ago Steven started dropping the F Bomb as he tries to say TRUCK. It's closer than frog, so a little more understandable, but there are a lot more trucks to point out during the day. If you listen closely you might here an R in there, but the T is an F and the R is usually silent.

I'm only sharing this in case we have a play date and my son starts saying one of the worst words in the English language. I'm trying to work with him as well on those T's, but it hasn't worked yet. Until then, please don't judge me, I don't swear. ;-)

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Ha! That's hilarious Liz!

Emily Whitehead said...

Liz that is so funny! I had the same problem with Brayden when he was 1. We were in Hawaii and he said the "D" word. It took us a while to figure out he was reaching for his sandwich and trying to tell us to hand it to him.

Jen said...

ha ha! That's awesome...Malia did it for her first time in the middle of Sacrament meeting...and she was trying to say 'freckle' because she noticed a freckle on my arm. But as you can imagine, it came out like f-er and we had several heads turn in our direction. We also had her calling a Flag 'fag' and would point them out every time we saw them. once in a while we had people look at us thinking we were pointing at them and calling them fags. Luckily Cole hasn't done it yet, but he does have a hard time pronouncing truck as well...but he uses a 'g' instead of a 't'.

Becky said...

Funny stuff. Thanks for the laugh today!