When 9/11 happened seven years ago I was in a bubble, and by the time I was out of the bubble, it wasn't talked about as much. I know how I felt about it, but I haven't talked to many people about how it affected them. If you have time, I would appreciate if you would tell me where you were, and what you experienced that day.
Because of where I was, it took me a while to grasp the magnitude of what had happened on 9/11. I was in the MTC in Provo and was set to fly to LA on the 12th. We started to hear whispers around the campus, but since we didn't have any link to the media, we were mostly kept in the dark. One of my teachers snuck in a news broadcast and showed it to us in a closet, and it started to be a reality for me. In a way it seemed so unreal as I watched it, because that one 5 minute newscast was the only exposure I got to it. The MTC leaders never mentioned it to us, but I assume that all of the missionaries found out like I did, or once they got to the field.
A week later I arrived in LA and it hit harder. A sister in the mission was from NY and she talked about it a lot. My visitor center director was a retired Air Force Colonel and ran a lot of drills with us to prepare for a terrorist attack since LA was a likely target and the temple was in the middle of it all. Although I felt completely safe, I knew that bad things happen to good people and we needed to prepare for anything.
It is so sad what happened to all the people affected with the loss of loved ones, and the effect it had on our nation. I will never understand how terrorists can justify killing people they don't know just to send a message. No God would ever justify blowing up a building, or a bus, that may or may not have wicked people on it. They don't know the fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, children and friends that they killed. How could they think that somehow it was justified because they happened to be in the US, and the US is wicked. Their hatred is so misguided and love is the only thing that will ever overcome such hatred. I wish they knew that although we might call him by different names, we really do all worship the same God.
So, if you have time, I'd appreciate your insight into that days events.
5 comments:
Nice words! I was at home when the first of it happened. Jon was at United Airlines and called me: he told me to turn the Tv on, cuz 3 of their planes were missing. I remember that day so so clearly. I am grateful for the Firefighter, police offices that risked their lives to save others. Of course also grateful for our military.
meant to say "firefighters" not firefighter.
Oh, Liz, so many memories from just one day! I was in school at the U, and my first class was at 9 am. I was late, as usual, and didn't notice the TV in the room and everyone's stunned expressions at first. I finally caught on, and watched the TV thinking, why are we watching a plane crash in a philosophy class?? I finally had to ask, "Am I the only one who doesn't know what's going on?" After getting a very hushed explanation, I watched in horror along with every one else. Classes were canceled the rest of the day. I called my roommate (now my sister-in-law) on my way home, and told her to come home. We watched the news all day and cried together, wondering, how could anyone do this to US?? WHY?? I also remember talking to my mom on the phone, and worrying with her when she couldn't reach my aunt, how lived in NJ at the time. I didn't have to work for a week, because Discover Card was owned by Morgan Stanley then, and there were a bunch of people killed in their office in the World Trade Center.
Even though the tragedy was far away geographically, the attack seemed so personal and close to home because America is my home! You said you were in a bubble in the MTC, and I really felt like my bubble had burst that day. I no longer felt safe and like our country was invincible. I no longer thought terrorism just happened in third world countries. I no longer had faith that if you lived a good life you would be spared tragedy and heartache. But it was so incredible to see everyone come together as a nation. People risked their lives to save others. Everyone was a little kinder. And we proved that we could overcome and we wouldn't give in to fear!
We're still facing the effects of those attacks so many years ago, trying to overcome ignorance and hatred. And think how airline travel has changed! I did my study abroad starting the January after the attack. Travel was a nightmare, especially coming back into the US! I had to take off my shoes, and had my carry-on luggage sniffed by a very ferocious dog!!
Thanks for letting me ramble. It is a day I will never forget.
I was at work in Dupont Washington. Someone had the video running over the internet. It was surreal. I thought it must be a hoax. Then everyone went home. We lived very close to military bases and there was a real concern that the attack could be wider spread.
It was so horrific, I just couldn't believe it was real at first.
I was so upset about the personal lives lost and their loved ones. I was terrified that nothing was safe. I couldn't believe this happened on US soil. I didn't really worry about terrorist before.
I was riding to school that morning with my friend Bobbie and my twin sister Gina. My friend Bobbie was killed about a year later in a car accident, so I think the memory stayed with me longer. Bobbie asked us if we heard about the airplane crashing into one of the twin towers. I said, "what's that". How stupid is that? I didn't even know what they were at the time. I was a junior in high school...I was too worried about my hair :)
Post a Comment